Each year, over one million people visit emergency rooms due to slipping and falling. Slip and fall accidents can cause serious and painful injuries that may require surgery or result in debilitating conditions that can last a lifetime.
Slip and fall accidents can happen due to a variety of reasons, but many accidents can be prevented. Numerous slip and fall accidents occur due to poorly maintained properties, and negligent property owners are often responsible. If someone else’s negligence caused your accident, you may be eligible for compensation.
Our attorneys at Kanthaka Law understand that recovering from a fall can be difficult and lengthy — but you don’t have to do it alone. Our firm’s experienced personal injury lawyers can help you file a claim for compensation for an accident caused by hazardous conditions and negligence.
Common Causes Of Slip And Fall Injuries
Many factors can contribute to falls. However, if someone is responsible for repairing or maintaining the location, you may be entitled to compensation that covers medical costs, pain and suffering, and potential losses to income or enjoyment of life. Here are a few reasons slip and fall accidents occur:
- Wet floors – Standing water is a common cause of falls. The water can be from improperly cleaned floors, leaky windows, or rainy walkways.
- Outdoor ice/snow – Cold weather conditions can produce slippery surfaces outside of buildings. Precautions such as salting the pavement and shoveling should be taken to prevent slipping.
- Cracked or raised sidewalks – time, construction and weather can all result in sidewalks that are in subpar condition. Safety should be implicit in a sidewalk’s design, and those responsible for it should assemble warning signs or address dangers as soon as possible.
- Lack of lighting – Being unable to see makes it easy to fall over and trip. Businesses are responsible for ensuring the safety of their customers, that includes adequate lighting.
- Broken railings – You might be entitled to compensation if you fell due to a broken railing. The owner is responsible for maintaining safety items such as railings.
- Drop-offs – When adding an extension or a stairway, a drop-off may be deeper than normal, which can cause people to stumble. These should be properly posted with warning signs.
- Long cords – Electronics with long cords should not be dragged across the floor or walkway.
- Uneven floors – When a foundation shifts, the ground can become unlevel. The result may be bumpy floors that are dangerous to walk on.
Common Injuries From Slip And Falls
A slip and fall accident can cause serious injuries to the spine, brain, bones, and even death. Do not wait to see a doctor if you sustained an injury (especially a head injury). The injury could worsen over time.
Slip and fall accidents can cause some serious (and often overlooked) injuries.
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Neck/spinal injuries
- Back injuries
What To Do If You Have Suffered A Slip & Fall Accident
After a slip and fall accident, it is common to feel awkward, pretend you are fine around bystanders, and leave the scene. However, once the adrenaline has settled you may realize your injuries are worse than you initially thought.
Investigate What Caused You To Fall
Instead of leaving the scene, make sure you look at your surroundings to see what the cause of your fall or slip was.
The business owner may later wipe up the water you slipped on, replace a burnt-out lightbulb, or repair an uneven area of the floor. It is imperative that you take note of what the scene was like at the time of your accident.
Request the name and contact information of bystanders that saw your fall. These people could be important witnesses later. Take pictures of your visible injuries, such as bruising and swelling. Photograph what you were wearing at the time of the fall, as the business owner may try to prove you were wearing inappropriate footwear or were otherwise compromised by your clothing.
Seek Medical Attention
Keep records of any costs incurred at the doctor’s office, as well as any diagnoses you receive. Track the lost hours and salary if you miss work. If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, we use this kind of information to compile a strong claim to help you get the most compensation.
It can be difficult to establish hazardous business conditions. The sooner you start the process after a slip and fall accident, the better. You will still remember details about the event, and your injuries will demonstrate how serious the incident was.
Initiating a case promptly can allow you to pay medical bills when they become due. An experienced personal injury attorney will assist you with the legal process so you can focus on your recovery.
Kanthaka Group’s Slip And Fall Attorneys Are Here To Help
Slip and fall accidents can have a devastating effect on your life. At the Kanthaka Group, we have experienced attorneys and staff that will guide you through the legal process of recovering from a slip and fall accident. We are here to take the pressure off you. Contact our Colorado Springs personal injury lawyers today.